Phone: +86 10 88369999
Named the World's Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer by Chambers & Partners, founding partner Spring Chang is a razor-sharp IP attorney who has advised and represented hundreds of major electronics, consumer, pharmaceutical, apparel and jewelry companies in the Chinese market, as well as Chinese companies overseas. Chang is well known for representing Best Buy in a precedent-setting trademark case that prompted China's Supreme Court to re-evaluate the kinds of evidence to consider in IP decisions.
She has been regularly ranked as the only trademark lawyer in the Band 1 tier of Chambers and Partners' Chinese legal listings—the publication praises her "great judgment" and "wealth of experience in serving well-known multinationals". Chang has earned an international reputation for creativity and efficiency during more than two decades of practice.
- Specialized in all aspects of intellectual property rights, including prosecution and enforcement of trademarks, patents, copyrights, and domain names.
Years with IP Matters
- 26 years
- Founding Partner, Chang Tsi & Partners, Beijing, China
- Partner, Globe-Law Law Firm, Beijing, China
- Attorney at Law, Deheng Law Firm
- Visiting Attorney, Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu
- Attorney at Law, Patent and Trademark Firm of China Council for the Promotion of International Trade
- Attorney at Law and Trademark Agent, State Planning Committee, General Office
- Represented Tiffany & Co. since 2002 and filed large numbers of applications, oppositions, and declarations of invalidity. Recently, Chang helped Tiffany & Co. gain well-known status for its trademark, enabling Tiffany & Co. to strengthen and protect its brand from various infringers.
- Successfully persuaded the court to accept the Under Armour case, in which CNY 100,000,000 (roughly USD 15,000,000) was claimed in damages.
- In the past 5 years, Chang has filed 13 litigations on behalf of Levi Strauss & Co. (LS&Co), successfully helping Levi Strauss & Co. to gain well-known recognition for the "LEVI'S" word mark and the Two Horses Design by the Trademark Review and Appeal Board.
- Represented Encyclopedia Britannica in a trademark infringement case against Xinlei Publishing House; she successfully terminated all infringing activities, and the court awarded her client CNY 253,111 (roughly USD 40,824) in damages; she prepared a C&D letter, resulting in 34,500 returned copies of the infringing books and thus minimized the loss caused by the infringement.
- Successfully represented Graco, the leader in fluid handling systems and components industry, in an infringement case: Shanghai Sanqi was ordered to issue a public apology and pay CNY 4,000,000 (roughly USD 600,000) in damages.
- Represented PetroChina in a patent infringement case, worked closely with the inventors to clarify the invention process step-by-step, successfully highlighted the differences between the technical solutions, and protected the reputation of PetroChina.
- Effectively represented Dart Industries to stop third party infringement, wherein the court ordered the infringing party to stop all manufacturing activities, destroy all inventory, turn over all molds, and Dart received CNY 150,000 (roughly USD 22,000) in damages.
- Successfully represented Johnson & Johnson in several high stakes litigation cases (including criminal proceedings) before the Supreme People's Court of China.
- "Band 1 Lawyers on Intellectual Property: Non-litigation(PRC-firms) – China" by Chambers and Partners;
- "2018 ALB China Client of Choice" by Asian Legal Business in 2018;
- "Golden Award in Prosecution and Strategy" and "Silver Award in Enforcement and Litigation" by World Trademark Review 1000;
- "Global IP Star" by IP STARS of MIP;
- "The Winner of Client Choice" in Intellectual Property - Trademark Field by Client Choice;
- "Band 1 Intellectual Property Lawyer in China" by Chambers Asia Pacific;
- "Tier One Female Lawyer" in Asia Pacific area by Chambers and Partners in 2017;
- "Best Women Lawyers in China" by Thomson Reuters ALB in 2017;
- "Top 250 Women in IP" by Managing Intellectual Property;
- "Gold for Prosecution and Strategy" by World Trademark Review 1000 in 2017;
- "Leading Individual" by Chambers Asia Pacific in 2016;
- "Trademark Star – China" by Managing Intellectual Property in 2016;
- "Band 1 Intellectual Property Lawyer in China" by Chambers Asia Pacific from 2015 to 2016;
- "Top 20 Lawyers in China" by Asian Legal Business in 2015;
- Rank of silver No.2 in "Enforcement & Litigation Individual of the Year" recognized by World Trademark Review;
- "50 Litigators You Should Know" by Asia IP Magazine from 2013 to 2014;
- "Leading Lawyer" by Asialaw Profiles from2012 to 2016 and from 2018 to 2019;
- "Most Highly Acclaimed Legal Experts" in Asia by Asia Law & Practice in 2011;
- "Top 10 lawyers" of the year in China by the Corporate Intl Magazine in 2011;
- "Leading Lawyer" by in Asia Pacific by Asia IP in 2010;
- "World's Leading Trademark Lawyer" and "Law Expertise" by Who's Who Legal in 2007, and "World's Leading Trademark Lawyer" in 2014;
- "Leading Lawyers" in Beijing by Beijing Lawyers Association in 2005;
- L.L.M., China University of Political Science and Law (1991)
- L.L.B. Liaoning University (1988)
- How Rising Filing Rates are Challenging Protection -CHINA IP FOCUS 2014;
- Protecting Your Brand Under the New Rules -China Law & Practice IP Focus 2014.
- The First Domain Name Dispute Case in China, Running to Catch Up (Hong Kong) -IP ASIA;
- Trademark Protection - Asia Law & Practice
- Protecting Intellectual Property Rights at Exhibitions-IP Review 2006;
- Protect Your Trademark From Genericide - Asian Legal Business;
- Trademark Protection - Asia Law & Practice;
- China Bar (1992)
Chang Tsi & Partners is proud of our excellent team of attorneys. Our attorneys are international, professional, well-educated and experienced in handling all types of commercial matters. Our partners include a few of the earliest legal practitioners in in China. Before they went into private practice, most of our partners served at government organs, judicial institutions, and/or big corporations and are thus very familiar with the internal mechanisms of these organizations. They also have established extensive, close contacts within these organizations. So our partners have the ability to integrate their social resources and create synergy to maximize the benefits for our clients.
Chang Tsi & Partners currently employs a total of 320 staffs, including 200 attorneys, agents and foreign consultants and others. The majority of our lawyers hold master's degrees and above, from prestigious law schools both domestic and international. Some of our lawyers have studied and/or worked abroad and have qualified as lawyers and patent agents in America and Canada.
At Chang Tsi, we highly value teamwork and cooperation. We also stress sharing of resources and experience in order to provide our clients with the best services. Their years of practice and extensive experience working with foreign firms, make our attorneys well-qualified to handle the most complicated and challenging legal matters for clients all over the world.