Managing Partner | Founding Partner
Phone: +86 10 88369999
Managing partner Simon Tsi is one of China’s most fearsome litigators and has a long background working with government organizations. With a lifetime of experience in arbitration, corporate law, security &finance law, construction & real estate law, and IP, he has overseen some of China’s biggest corporate takeovers. Tsi, who specializes in legal risk prevention and control, has won landmark trademark infringement and unfair competition cases on behalf of Honeywell International Inc., Kraft Inc., and Johnson & Johnson.
In 2016, Tsi obtained a rare preliminary injunction on behalf of Under Armour in the high court of Fujian’s IPR tribunal– the second such injunction the court has ever issued. Tsi has long-term working relationships with many of China’s most successful businesspeople and specializes in connecting them with overseas firms. He has worked for China’s Department of Justice, the Ministry of Personnel, and the State Power Grid Construction Corporation.
- Specialized in the fields of litigation and arbitration, corporate laws, security and finance, construction and real estate, and intellectual property.
- Highly experienced and successful in handling complicated petitions, retrials, and crisis management for enterprises.
- Provided legal service for many Fortune 500 companies regarding the intellectual property protection strategy, and acted for several of them in many enforcement and litigation cases.
- Familiar with the working mechanism of the judicial system and has accumulated rich experiences in the field.
- Established an extensive network of important contacts and maintained good working relations with various ministries under the State Council.
Chang Tsi & Partners, Beijing
Attorney at Law, Deheng Law Firm
Office Manager, State Power Grid Construction Corporation
Director of Legal Office, Prersonnel Mobiility and Assignment Department, Ministry of Personnel
- Deputy Chief, Jiamusi Municipals Judicial Bureau
Visisting Scholar in Intellectual Property, Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, NH, US (2010-2011)
L.L.M, University of Political Science and Law (1991)
B.A, Mudanjiang Normal University, Heilongjiang, China (1983)
- The case Jianfa v Michael Kors (2018), in which Tsi represented Michael Kors, was awarded “2018 Matter of the Year” by Asialaw & Benchmark Litigation, and “China’s Top 10 Intellectual Property Cases of the Most Research Value” by Shanghai Intellectual Property Academe in 2018.
- In Under Armour vs Fujian Ting Fei Long Sports Goods Co., Ltd.(2017), Tsi represented Under Armour in a claim for trademark infringement and unfair competition. Tsi’s actions in this case were recognized as “2017-2018 Excellent Trademark Agency Cases” by the Chinese Trademark Association, and it was reported by foreign media, including Law360. In this case, he persuaded the IP tribunal of Fujian Provincial High People’s Court to issue a second preliminary injunction in history. The client Under Armour was awarded damages of CNY 2 million (roughly USD 290,292).
- In Skechers v. Spieth & Wensky, Tsi represented Skechers in a claim for trademark infringement and the decision was reported by China Intellectual Property News, China Industry & Commerce News and Beijing Business Today. The client Skechers was awarded damages of CNY 3 million (roughly USD 435,438).
- Successfully represented clients in many complex matters, including retrial and corporate cases.
- Provided IP protection strategy, IP transactions, brand licensing, intellectual property due diligence, intellectual property infringement and other legal services for many Fortune 500 companies.
- Led the mergers and acquisitions project for Shen Hua Group Corporation Ltd. to purchase a mineral group in Xinjiang and several other private mineral enterprises in Inner Mongolia.
- Counsel to many renowned domestic companies, such as China National Development Bank, China Airlines Co., Ltd., Beijing Capital Co., Ltd., etc.
- Successfully represented Honeywell International Inc. in a trademark infringement & unfair competition case, in which HONEYWELL was recognized as a well-known trademark.
- Successfully represented Johnson & Johnson and Mondelez in several high stakes litigation cases before the Supreme People’s Court of China
- Worked with a number of government organizations , including universities, the justice department, the Ministry of Personnel, and the State Power Grid Construction Corporation.
- Assisted many clients in the establishment of legal risk prevention, compliance and control.
- Successfully represented a construction company in a complicated contract dispute against a Beijing real estate developer,involving RMB 320 million.
- “2017-2018 Excellent Trademark Agency Cases” awarded by the CTA for his representation of Under Armour in the case Under Armour vs Fujian Ting Fei Long Sports Goods Co., Ltd.;
- “2018 Matter of the Year” awarded by Asialaw & Benchmark Litigation and “China’s Top 10 Intellectual Property Cases of the Most Research Value” by Shanghai Intellectual Property Academe for his actions on behalf of Michael Kors in Jianfa v. Michael Kors;
- "Market-Leading Lawyer" 2019 by Asialaw Profiles;
- "Market-Leading Lawyer" 2018 by Asialaw Profiles;
- "The A-List 2018 China's Top 100 Lawyers" by China Business Law Journal;
- "The A-List 2017 China's Top 100 Lawyers" by China Business Law Journal;
- "Best Intellectual Property Lawyer 2016" by China Law & Practice;
- "Top 15 IP Lawyers in China" by Asian Legal Business in 2015 and 2016;
- "Top 15 Litigators in China" by Asian Legal Business in 2016;
- "Leading Lawyers in Asia" by Asia Law Profiles from 2014 to 2016;
- "Leading Lawyers" by Asia IP magazine in 2011;
- "International Leading Trademark Lawyer" by Who's Who magazine in 2009; and
- Director in the Beijing Lawyers Association.
Chang Tsi & Partners is proud of our excellent team of attorneys. Our attorneys are international, professional, well-educated and experienced in handling all types of commercial matters. Our partners include a few of the earliest legal practitioners in in China. Before they went into private practice, most of our partners served at government organs, judicial institutions, and/or big corporations and are thus very familiar with the internal mechanisms of these organizations. They also have established extensive, close contacts within these organizations. So our partners have the ability to integrate their social resources and create synergy to maximize the benefits for our clients.
Chang Tsi & Partners currently employs a total of 350 staffs, including 220 attorneys, agents and foreign consultants and others. The majority of our lawyers hold master's degrees and above, from prestigious law schools both domestic and international. Some of our lawyers have studied and/or worked abroad and have qualified as lawyers and patent agents in America and Canada.
At Chang Tsi, we highly value teamwork and cooperation. We also stress sharing of resources and experience in order to provide our clients with the best services. Their years of practice and extensive experience working with foreign firms, make our attorneys well-qualified to handle the most complicated and challenging legal matters for clients all over the world.