Attorney at Law
Mr. Ason Zhang provides consultation services on a wide range of intellectual property issues in China, in both contentious and non-contentious matters. He specializes in the development of intellectual property strategy and enforcement programs for many multinational corporations.
Mr. Ason Zhang covers all aspects of intellectual property rights, including applications and protection of trademarks, patents, copyrights, and domain names; management of IPR in China; unfair competition; consumer rights protection; corporate related IPR matters; litigation and dispute resolution; strategy of IPR in China. He can provide all comprehensive, multiple levels and one-stop service for clients.
Mr. Ason Zhang always keeps client’s utmost interests in minds, is highly responsible to clients, and can provide the most effective ways to solve clients’ most complex legal issues. He is thus highly honored by clients and peers, and is awarded as excellent lawyer by World Trademark Review.
Years with IP Matters
2012 until now
Head of Guangzhou Branch and Counsel, Chang Tsi & Partners, Beijing & Guangzhou, China
Attorney at law, Grandall Law Offices, Shenzhen, China
- Successfully represented Kohler Co., a well-known sanitary ware company, to develop a holistic enforcement strategy to combat infringement, including filing tradeshow complaints, administrative complaints, patent invalidations, and civil lawsuits. Received client’s great appreciation.
- Represented BorgWarner, a well-known car accessories company, to bring criminal actions against counterfeit manufacturers and their distributors in 10 provinces in China. Working alongside officials from the PSB to seize counterfeits from the infringers and successfully dismantling the counterfeit operation from manufacturing to distribution, thereby clearing the markets for the client in China. The case was listed as a “cluster battle” case under the supervision of the Central PSB of China and widely acknowledged as a success.
- Represented Levi’s filing lawsuits against infringers in China to enhance its weak rights in China and successfully enhance its rights as well as help recognize its Chinese name as fame name in China for pants. Recent case named as Excellent Case by Guangzhou IP Court.
- Represented ConocoPhillips suing infringers based on its Chinese trade name in three different venues in China and won the cases paving ways for its TM registrations before CNIPA.
- Represented Skechers reversing unfavorable first instance judgment in Fujian High Court. Second instance court supported all claims of special decoration, false representation, TM infringement etc. including 3 million compensation. This case was widely reported by various media.
- Represented COBY defending China competitors’ lawsuits based on OEM claims and won as well as filing counter actions for compensation for COBY.
- Represented IHG win its first HOLIDAY INN case in China. Court supports all claims including million compensation. Weak rights confirmed protected by Court and this judgment shared worldwide within IHG global management.
- “Excellent Lawyer” by World Trademark Review
Juris Doctor (American Law) and Juris Master (Chinese Law), Peking University, 2012
Bachelor of English (Hons.) and Certificate of Chinese Law Study, Tianjin Polytechnic University, 2008
The Competition Redline for IPR Exercising – China Business Law Journal 2014
New Trend of Trademark Infringement in Sports Industry - Managing IP 2018
Original Equipment Manufacturing and Trademark Infringement: A Review of Current Law and Practical Tips for Avoiding Pitfalls – Lexology 2018
Case Analysis of the Trademark Infringement Case filed against Former Licensee by Famous Hotel Company – IPRdaily 2020
Fast and Harsh: Trademark Protection for BorgWarner - IPRdaily 2021
China Bar (2009)