Attorney at Law
Named the World's Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer by Chambers & Partners, Spring Chang has advised and represented numerous world's leading companies in a wide array of business sectors such as electronics, consumer, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, apparel, and jewelry.
Thanks to her creative approach and high efficiency in over three decades of practice, Spring has earned an international reputation and many publications appreciate her "great judgment" and "wealth of experience in serving well-known multinationals".
Spring has been widely recognized as one of the most influential IP lawyers in China by leading legal media as she always provides clients with tailored legal solutions in a rapidly changing Chinese market. She has been also invited by renowned legal associations and institutions worldwide to share her extensive knowhows in trademark and design patent law.
Years with IP Matters
1991 until now
Founding Partner, Chang Tsi & Partners, Beijing, China
Partner, Globe-Law Law Firm, Beijing, China
Visiting Attorney, Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu
Attorney at Law, Patent and Trademark Firm of China Council for the Promotion of International Trade
Agent, State Planning Committee, General Office
- Represented Tiffany & Co. since 2002 and filed large numbers of applications, oppositions, and declarations of invalidity. Recently, Chang helped Tiffany & Co. gain well-known status for its trademark, enabling Tiffany & Co. to strengthen and protect its brand from various infringers.
- Successfully persuaded the court to accept the Under Armour case, in which CNY 100,000,000 (roughly USD 15,000,000) was claimed in damages.
- In the past 5 years, Chang has filed 13 litigations on behalf of Levi Strauss & Co. (LS&Co), successfully helping Levi Strauss & Co. to gain well-known recognition for the "LEVI'S" word mark and the Two Horses Design by the Trademark Review and Appeal Board.
- Represented Encyclopedia Britannica in a trademark infringement case against Xinlei Publishing House; she successfully terminated all infringing activities, and the court awarded her client CNY 253,111 (roughly USD 40,824) in damages; she prepared a C&D letter, resulting in 34,500 returned copies of the infringing books and thus minimized the loss caused by the infringement.
- Successfully represented Graco, the leader in fluid handling systems and components industry, in an infringement case: Shanghai Sanqi was ordered to issue a public apology and pay CNY 4,000,000 (roughly USD 600,000) in damages.
- Represented PetroChina in a patent infringement case, worked closely with the inventors to clarify the invention process step-by-step, successfully highlighted the differences between the technical solutions, and protected the reputation of PetroChina.
- Effectively represented Dart Industries to stop third party infringement, wherein the court ordered the infringing party to stop all manufacturing activities, destroy all inventory, turn over all molds, and Dart received CNY 150,000 (roughly USD 22,000) in damages.
- Successfully represented Johnson & Johnson in several high stakes litigation cases (including criminal proceedings) before the Supreme People's Court of China.
L.L.M., China University of Political Science and Law (1991)
L.L.B. Liaoning University (1988)
- Recent Changes in China Trademark Law and Our Take-aways, Boston Bar Association, 2022
- Protection of Intellectual Assets in the New Digital Environment, Intellectual Property Conference, 2022
- Metaverse, NFTs and IP protection, Lotus, 2022
- Time to Update Your IPR Strategy in Changing China, PLI (Practicing Law Institute), online, 2021
- Developments in Chinese Patent Law, The Bar Association of San Francisco, 2021
- How to Deal with Rampant Copycats and Infringers in China, HGF Limited, US, 2020
- Cyber Security Law and IP Protection, Mondelez, online, 2020
- An Overview of Trademarks Protection & Enforcement in China, K&S Partners, online, 2020
- How to Deal with Large Number of Squatters in China, Fordham IP Conference, New York, 2019
- IP Right Protection Strategy in Tradeshow in China, Kholer, Shanghai, 2018
- Trademark Prior Rights Protection, INTA, Florida, 2016
How Rising Filing Rates are Challenging Protection -CHINA IP FOCUS 2014;
Protecting Your Brand Under the New Rules -China Law & Practice IP Focus 2014.
The First Domain Name Dispute Case in China, Running to Catch Up (Hong Kong) -IP ASIA;
Trademark Protection - Asia Law & Practice
Protecting Intellectual Property Rights at Exhibitions-IP Review 2006;
Protect Your Trademark From Genericide - Asian Legal Business;
Trademark Protection - Asia Law & Practice;
INTA (Member of Famous and Well-Known Marks Committee)
Marques (Teams Member, 2019-2021)
Practising Law Institute (Guest Lecturer, 2021)
China Bar (1992)